Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day sixteen: cheating (!) and getting tired of smoothies

Yes, I cheated this week.  On two different occasions, I was working remotely at a coffee shop, and I ordered decaf coffee AND put milk in it.  To make matters worse, the coffee shop did sell tea - even herbal tea.  But the coffee tasted pretty damn good.

The way that I found out about The Clean Program was from an Outside Magazine article, published December 2010.  The issue was about giving things up and becoming healthier.  The article about Clean was written by a guy in his late-30's who was really cynical (and hilarious) and wanted to try this cleanse to see what all of the hype was about.  He was a doubter, and of course, he was totally sold on the program by the end of the three weeks.  It was so convincing, that we tried it.  But at one point in about the middle of the cleanse he goes out to dinner and has fish tacos and a few beers with friends.  He then calls Dr. Junger to see how much damage he has done.  Dr. Junger tells him, "Well, let me put it this way.  If you're trying to tidy up a room, and it is nice a clean, but then someone sprays lard all over the walls, that is going to do some damage.  But you'll eventually be able to clean it up." 

I think I cheated because I am getting bored.  I knew before I started that I wasn't a big fan of the soups on the cleanse.  We had made a few of them last year when we did this, and none were as satisfying and delicious as the smoothies.  And juice just doesn't have enough body to be something to look forward to as "dinner".  So, for the past week or so we have been making smoothies for both breakfast AND dinner.  And that can be very, very boring.

Another issue is laziness.  After making a fairly complicated lunch, I really don't feel like getting the pots and pans and mixer out to make a complicated soup (because only the complicated ones are tasty).  It's much easier to throw some ingredients into the blender and press mix.  In addition, you know that you are getting some good nutrients with all of the many ingredients that you can add: fruit, flax seeds, chia seeds, nuts, hemp protein, almond milk, coconut milk, avocado, spinach, brown rice syrup, dates, currants, almond butter, cocoa... the possibilities are endless. And the best part of making a smoothie?  The Vitamix blender.  That thing is amazing, but I guess it should be for how much it costs.  We are borrowing ours from a friend, and I am going to go through withdrawl when we return it.  I think we are going to have to make the investment.

But I think I am tired of all of the smoothie options, and I am acting out as a result.  Maybe tonight for dinner I'll just have some sushi, beer, and sake.  That sounds great.  Then I'll finish it off with cake and ice cream.  Yum.  That would spray some serious lard on my internal, clean room.

I do plan to make it to day 21 of this cleanse, but I might need just one more cup of decaf to get me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment