Friday, February 3, 2012

Day twenty-two: The Day After

I didn't make it a full day yesterday.  Last night we decided to break our cleanse with a good bottle of wine.  I had made some chicken and pasta for the kids, so Matt had some of that with the broccoli and arugula soup, which happens to be really good: http://goop.com/newsletter/15/

I had a bite of the wheat pasta, and it felt like a rock going in my stomach.  So I decided to have some rice bread on the side of my soup.  After dinner I remembered that I had two chocolate bars in the pantry - and the wine would be a perfect complement to them, right?  At this point, my judgement was questionable due to the wine, so we opened them both.  Of course we were justifying our actions by reasoning that both chocolate bars were relatively healthy: dark chocolate with cherries and milk chocolate with cranberries and almonds.  They were good.  But after two squares of each, my body really couldn't take any more sugar with the wine/chocolate combination.

About six months ago I went to our natural foods store with a variety of different health ailments.  I was asking the store owner about each one separately, and he said, "Do you eat a lot of processed sugar?"  My gut reaction was to say no.  I am not the type of person who throws a candy bar in the cart in the check out line.  But processed sugar is everywhere, and if you break down what you eat each day, it can be surprising how much can sneak into your diet without you realizing it.  He said that eliminating processed sugar can do wonders for health, and would basically clear up all of my issues.  So after those chocolate bars are gone, I'm going to get right on that. 

I am looking forward to my smoothie this morning.  I should be excited about eating something else, but I don't want to.  For the most part, I plan to stay on the elimination diet.  I already know the things that are easy for me to avoid: wheat, caffeine, dairy and peanuts.  As a vegetarian (when I'm not on Clean) I have a hard time avoiding soy, and it seems to agree with me when I eat it.  My challenges will be alcohol and processed sugar because I really love them both, but I know that they affect my body negatively.

In a section of his book when he discusses the poor health of the average American due to our diets, Dr. Junger mentions how Mother Earth is sick, and humans are the virus.  A lesson learned from this journey is to live with a closer bond to Mother Earth.  We are animals, therefore we have a strong tie to nature.  If we can start a cycle of healthy living with just our diet, other practices fall into place by doing things like recycling, spending time outside, and turning off screens and interacting with one another face to face.  The further away we drift from our tie to nature, it seems the more scattered and sick we become.  Eating whole, unprocessed foods agrees with our bodies, because that is what our digestive system is made to process.  When we go outside in nature to ski, walk, bike or just run around, there is a profound happiness that results because humans have a biological tie to nature.  When we stop texting and emailing and actually talk to each other, there is warmth and happiness that can't be experienced with a screen.  Just a smile at a stranger or a hug for a friend can completely change someone's mood from dark to light.

For those of you still on Clean, keep up the good work!  At our last meeting on Wednesday we talked about how this experience is life changing, and how the key is to take the practices with you.  It isn't just about what you eat, but more importantly about being mindful when, why and how much you eat.  Find your emotional triggers and realize that you are the only one who is control of what you put in your mouth.  No one is forcing you to eat - it is your decision.  So maybe have a cup of tea and a deep breath the next time you get the urge to dive into the pantry and finish off that chocolate bar.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment